SCENE | Independence


It's been about a year since I've been back to my native Chicago for a visit, and also about a year since Independence, the retail outpost of Oak Street Bootmakers opened a brick and mortar store. I've been an admirer of the American-made Oak Street Bootmaker shoes and boots since their launch, in fact, my husband wears a pair of their navy moccasins with serious regularity.

Oak Street is one of those brands that makes me say, "If only they had women's sizes...". So when I stopped by their second-floor Oak Street shop, I just had to ask, "Any chance you'll start making women's sizes?", and the nice chap on the floor said YES. Yes!? Yes. Apparently he has a lot of female customers as well. Stay tuned for more info on that, but until then, if you're in the Chicago area, check out Indepenence for Gitman, Kapital, AO Safety Sunglasses, Topo backpacks and all the tomboy accessories you'd want from a quality menswear shop. Good stuff in there.

Comments

Katie said…
Was just in Chicago a couple months ago - too bad I didn't know about this great place. Next time for sure! Thanks for letting us know about it...
Mamavalveeta03 said…
VERY cool bags. And boots...and shoes...I'll be there in less than a month. I'm going to check it out!

Lizzie, I found a place in Amagansett that sells Rabens Saloner!!! It's called ganeaux (and they have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ganeaux).
Anonymous said…
Very cool!
Aja Lake said…
love oak street. wanting those navy boots some kinda bad.
MarLa studio said…
YES! Makes a Chicago girl quite proud.
Jade said…
hollaaaa!!! love that this place is in my city. thanks for tuning me in. also, didn't know you were from Chicago. extra awesome points.
Jardzy said…
For Oaf Street boots, men's still look better :(

Popular Posts